The holiday season brings a lot of excitement. Between the shopping, Christmas parties, and family gatherings, it is easy to get distracted. Throw alcohol into the mix and it is easy to see how one may let their guard down as they are out and about. Slow down and pay attention to what is going on around you. We can all play a bigger part in reducing victimization and looking less attractive to criminals on the street.
Holiday personal safety tips:
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Walk in well-lit areas.
- Scan the street and make a mental note of what and who you see.
- Stick to familiar areas.
- NEVER walk down the street talking on your cell phone (or listening to music on headphones).
- Try to walk with others as there is strength in numbers.
- Let friends and loved ones know where you will be.
- If you are drinking, ensure that you have a sober friend with you.
- If you’re out shopping, try to carry packages in one hand so you have a free hand.
- If you’re scared, ask a security officer to walk you to your car. It is ok to ask for help and to put authorities on alert.
Criminals are looking for vulnerabilities. The minute you let your guard down they will pounce. Pay attention and reduce the distractions so that you can get home safe and enjoy all the fun the holidays have to offer.
As always, be safe,
L.J. Follow me on Twitter: @CrimeDoc1213
#personalsafety #safetytips #victimization #victim #crimeprevention #selfdefense #Christmas #ChristmasShopping #holidays #ljsamuel #deardiary